Saturday, January 30, 2010

Here we go again




Well the ice has started to fall. Seeing as it is just about a year ago to the day that the ice storm hit last year the area is pretty hyped up on whether or not this will be a repeat of ICE STORM 2009... I sure hope not. With that storm (see Ice storm post from last January) we lost power for about 5 days I believe. Luckily some of our friends kept their power so we were able to hang with them. Something about being without power and having a very active 10 month old just doesn't seem like too much fun.

For this storm there is a chance of 1/4 -1 inch worth of ice then on top of that 3-5 inches of snow is due in tomorrow. Adding that nice cushion of snow on top of ice makes diving too much of an adventure if you ask me. Obviously everyone is assuming there will be no school, I even gave my students "snow work" as they called it so they would do a small amount of learning with the break.

If ice and snow do come as planned I am looking forward to some quality Abby time. All we need is for Grant to get to stay home as well, cross your fingers.

Below I am going to try and keep a timeline of this storm. Let's see what the storm has in-store for us.

Thursday, 4:00 pm- 30 degrees, the sleet started to fall.

Thursday, 6:30 pm- 30 degrees, sleet continues to fall. Grant just got home said roads are wet, not slick yet, but there was a thin layer of ice coating his car. Meteorologist just informed the viewing public that the ground, being below freezing temperatures, causes the rain to freeze upon contact, this is why it is called freezing rain....Really, so glad he cleared that up for me. :-)

Thursday, 8:00 pm- 28 degrees, sleet continues to slap the window. Thin coating of ice on tree and patio furniture.


Thursday, 8:45 pm- Just posted... No School Tomorrow! Not a real surprise, but it is nice to know that I don't have to get up early in the morning to find out that there isn't school!

Friday, 6:30 am- Grant got the call that they closed his Fayetteville office today. Lazy day here we come. Lightly sleeting. There is about a quarter inch ice on the ground.


Friday, 11:00 am- The sleet is now turning to snow.

Friday, 5:20 pm- 22 degrees. The snow continues to fall. We have three inches and they are now predicting 5-8 inches of snow once everything is said and done by early Saturday morning. The power is running strong with no flickers! Through the world of Facebook, I've heard there have been a few reports of power outages in Springdale due to a car crashing into a power pole, but all power is back on.




Saturday, 8:30 am- The snow has stopped falling and the sun is starting to shine upon the six inches of snow dumped upon Northwest Arkansas. I had to laugh, as I was explaining to my parents about the excitement in the area over the storm they said this type of storm would have been considered a flop for them in Park City, UT. Where according to http://www.utahskiing.org/ gets appx. 500 inches per year!

So now let the melting begin! The only question that remains now is will enough snow melt before Monday so we can return to school?

5 comments:

  1. Yay for lazy family day! Those are the best! Hopefully you don't get your power knocked out again, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys got the same junk we got. Glad you stayed safe :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe you have are supposed to get so much snow. We could use a little of that white stuff up north for the Olympics in two weeks! We still have no snow on the mountains. Enjoy your lazy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures!!! We just got 6 inches of snow here too which is unreal for NC! Enjoy your time with the family out in the nice white abyss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what's the verdict? Did you have to go to school today? I heard that they canceled in OKC.

    ReplyDelete