Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another Adventure with Flying


Yesterday was an adventure to put it simply. I will be updating what we have been up to the last few weeks soon but today is focused on our day yesterday.

Abby and I took a short trip to Greensboro, NC to visit my Grandfather. This was his first time meeting his great granddaughter so it was a neat trip. We have a great time that included Abby's first dip in a real pool.

Flying back home started smoothly as we flew through Detroit. I found myself thinking that Abby is a great traveler (as this was her third trip flying making that 10 states this girl has visited already!), she must be my good luck charm (I seem to have bad luck flying and run into all types of complications). Well my bad luck started with the plane from Detroit to Fayetteville being a bit delayed. We finally got on the plane about 1/2 hour late. Once they got us on board we found out that the air conditioning unit on the ground was broken, they were sure to let us know that it would work when we got in the air... this doesn't quite make sense to me but I am not an airplane expert. Forty minutes after an announcement stating that they would hurry and get us up in the air they finally started to prepare
for taking off. Abby and I both were not fans of the hot hot airplane, but she was a trooper. Thankfully once in the air it did cool off.

Things went smoothly until we got down to Fayetteville and the ride got a bit bumpy. After circling a time or two the captain informed us that Fayetteville's control tower had been struck by lightning and had lost all power therefore losing communication with its planes, so we were being rerouted down to Little Rock. As our flight was extended Abby fussed a time or two but still was very good.

Once in LR they de-boarded us (thankfully due to air conditioning problem) telling us when they got the go ahead from Fayetteville they would refuel and get us home. Thirty minutes later an airline representative had the fun job of informing us that our flight had been cancelled and they would be busing us back to Fayetteville....

In my mind....

Well crap, that's a 3 1/2 hour drive.... during Abby's fussy time of night... I'm going to somehow have to get my extra large bag (or so it seemed at the time), car seat, carry on bags, and sweet Abby on a bus by myself. This stinks.

Some wonderful people put my fears to rest by helping me. Including a very nice man who shared his sandwich that he had been smart enough to purchase before he left security. FYI there are no places to eat outside of airport security in Little Rock besides a small Starbucks.

The bus ride went smoothly Abby was awesome and we happily got to see Grant and head home at 10:30 that night.

I have no desire to fly for a while now.


Couldn't post without sharing a photo of our little girl.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, you should have told me you were coming to Greensboro, thats where I live! We could have met up for coffee or something! Glad she did so well traveling and sorry for all your mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah! I think airlines need to provide serious compensation for those sorts of things... and dinner! Shyla and Clay had to be bussed from Salt Lake to Butte, MT once. The annoying part was that they were trying to get to Dillon, and they drove right through Dillon on their way to Butte, but the bus wouldn't stop (plus their luggage was in Butte.) But I'm glad Abby was a good girl! The picture is super adorable, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy, she's so adorable!! I loved seeing your pics of Utah...it reminds me so much of when we go to Crested Butte in the summers. I love the pics of you riding the lift! I'll hopefully be doing that in the next few summers with a baby in tow :)

    ReplyDelete